Air Canada has revealed details of its transformed loyalty program including credit card benefits to members. They intend to launch the new program on November 8, 2020.
Regarding the new program, Calin Rovinescu the President and Chief Executive of Air Canada said “Air Canada promised an outstanding new Aeroplan that would be among the best travel loyalty programs in the world, and we are fulfilling that promise. The new Aeroplan program, which has been extremely well thought through, has been eagerly anticipated as a key driver of our ongoing transformation, this is more important than ever, as airlines compete to earn and retain customer loyalty in a rapidly changing environment”.
The transition is set to be seamless including keeping existing Aeroplan membership numbers and existing balances of miles will be honoured on a one-to-one basis. All Aeroplan credit cards will continue earning Aeroplan points.
Mark Nasr, The Vice President of Loyalty and eCommerce at Air Canada said “Since we announced our commitment to improving Aeroplan, we’ve been listening to feedback from more than 36,000 consumers; we’ve benchmarked against loyalty and frequent flyer programs from around the globe, and we’ve completely rebuilt our digital infrastructure. The result is a truly responsive and flexible loyalty program delivering a more rewarding experience so that members can travel more and travel better”.
Some of the Improvements you can expect:
- Every seat, No restrictions – Members will be able to redeem Aeroplan points to purchase any Air Canada seat that is available for sale.
- No Cash Surcharges – all additional surcharges will be eliminated. Members will pay cash only for taxes and third-party fees.
- Predictable pricing – Points needed for Aeroplan flight rewards on Air Canada will be based on prices in the market. Members have access to their ‘Points Predictor Tool’.
- Global reach – Members can earn or redeem points on over 35 airlines for flights to over 1,300 destinations.
- Points + Cash – Members can save their Aeroplan points and pay for a portion of their flight reward in cash.
- Family Sharing – combining Aeroplan points with others in the household for free so you can travel sooner.
- Earn points – Points are earned with every Air Canada flight including Economy Basic fares.
- Upgrade – this is available by redeeming points to upgrade to Air Canada Premium Economy or Business Class with availability. Or use the innovative bidding feature where members can name their own price to bid for upgrades.
- Extra perks – Members can use points on in-flight WI-Fi or in Air Canada’s Maple Leaf Lounge.
- Travel rewards – Redeeming points for your whole trip including car rentals, hotel stays and vacation packages is available.
Aeroplan continues to offer 6 membership levels. Aeroplan Debut, Aeroplan 25K, 35K, 50K, 75K, and super Elite.
Improvements beginning in 2021:
- Priority Rewards – Elite Status Members can earn Priority Rewards vouchers entitling them to 50% off the price in points on eligible flight rewards with Air Canada and its airline partners.
- Status Pass – Elite Status Members can share their benefits with friends and family.
- Status Qualification – earning points each day from retail travel and Aeroplan credit card will help you reach Elite status.
The new redesigned Aeroplan credit card offers Air Canada travel perks including earning rewards more quickly.
Entry-Level – The primary cardholder can redeem flights for fewer points with preferred pricing on flight rewards. Members earn more when they spend directly with Air Canada and pay with their Aeroplan credit card.
Main-Level – offer the same as above plus a free first checked bag for the member and up to 8 companions travelling on the same reservation.
Premium-Level – offers the above benefits plus access to Maple Leaf Lounge and Air Canada Café. Plus priority boarding and priority check-in.
Secondary cardholders – Enjoy a free first checked bag, access to the lounge and priority airport benefits when travelling on their own. (this is an industry first).